Thursday, December 11, 2008

How I use CMC

Since before taking Comm 301, I used Computer Mediated Communications. I text, I have a Facebook account, I use e-mail to communicate, and I utilized Internet resources for information. However, before the class began I was not aware of the many different social networks that are out there and how people tend to use these sites. Some in which I have learned about I found very useful and may keep up with the site such as, Linked In. There are other sites that I believe are not very interesting, to complicated, or almost to socially interactive requiring too much time such as Second Life.

Learning about different CMC probably will not change my habits too much. I will try to use CMC to connect with others for career purposes. I learned many different ways to make connections and how I should not use CMC while I am looking for a career. There is not much change that I will make with my time spent using CMC. I never used it to much before, even having a Facebook account, I can say I am not one of those who could be considered addicted.

I feel that I do have better knowledge on my Facebook account and how to manage it. I have made changes to my privacy settings and other settings on my account when we had discussed potential negatives that could happen. I also have been more particular about who I accept as my friend. I used to always accept friend requests, after the articles I have read and through our research and class discussion, I no longer just click accept. For the first time while being in Comm 301, I ignored friend requests.

Although my habits have not changed much, the minor changes I have made I know will be beneficial. An through my CMC experience I have learned and I am continuing to learn the positives and negatives of CMC. CMC has my attention and I am noticing what a big part it plays in today's generation.

No comments: