Friday, September 12, 2008

Online relationships

Throughout the summer I experienced some factors of an online relationship. My boyfriend, of only two months at the time, got signed for the Milwaukee Brewers and had to leave for Arizona. He left in the first week of June and wasn't going to be returning home until the first week of September. We planned to stay together and talk everyday.

It is easy with someone you already know what they look like and whats its like to be with them to not have anxious feelings or doubt. However, I would assume that starting a relationship online not knowing the full truth about the other person or what they look like would be very difficult.

I knew I liked my boyfriend but it was had to talk on the phone everyday because of long distance and our cell phone plans didn't allow us free calling until after nine at night. The three hour time difference made it difficult to because when he was finally allowed to talk on the phone for free I was ready for bed. So we had to find other ways to communicate. We used text, e mails, and AOL Instant Messenger. These mean of communication made it easy for us to stay in touch. However for three months we experienced what others might with an online relationship.

I feel like with online relationships you can say what you want and its much easier to do then if you were in person. I never really knew if my boyfriend really felt the way he did because even though he would tell me, he wasn't here to show me. Actions speak louder than words! Also I went through what others might experience with online relationships, the anticipation and anxiety of meeting that person. I had to ask myself some questions about my relationship. It seemed that we got closer while he was away realizing how much we truly liked each other. We would talk online we would talk about how amazing it would be when we would see each other again and what our whole semester at school would be like. This all seemed amazing through text but I was so nervous and scared for the reality of it. I would think what if it wasn't that way when he comes home? What if we don't feel the same way about each other once we are in person? What if he can express how he feels about me in words face to face? These are feelings that happen when people who meet online decide to meet. It has to be difficult for a relationship to make it through that stage. My expectation of what my relationship was going to be, at this point were very high.

i found that there were some troubles with not talking in person or on the phone. Not being able to hear his voice. There were miss communications every once in a while. Because of this we did get into a couple arguments. Its hard to trust and believe everything when you cant hear the tone of their voice as they speak or the expression on their face. It creates a complex, well at least for me it did, of always wondering, worrying, thinking, and never really knowing.

Then there was the physical contact just felling and knowing hes there. Everyone needs that comfort feeling, that hug or kiss. My boyfriend always texts me "MUAH" it cute but it will never be a real kiss. I want to reference the article my class read about senses with online relationships compared to in person relationships. This article touched every subject of how it really feels or should I say doesn't feel with online relationshipshttp://http//www-usr.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/showdown.html#touching.





In my experience, although we are not a true online relationship, having to spend three months with just my computer and phone was not a real relationship. It is much easier to have an in person relationship. Were you can see, feel, hear, and know everything you need to about the other person. In the end when my boyfriend returned home, as nervous as I was, he did not let me down. We are still together but I am so much more confident in his feelings for me because I can see him, hear his voice, and watch his actions.

No comments: